Databases by Subject
Need help doing research? Check out the Philosophy Subject Guide.
Databases for Philosophy
- ARTFL Project, University Of Chicago
- Coverage: Medieval to 20th Century
- Consists of nearly 2000 French texts. Subjects include literary criticism, biology, history, economics, and philosophy. Genres include novels, verse, theater, journalism, essays, correspondence, and treatises. The 18th, 19th and 20th centuries are about equally represented, with a smaller selection of 17th century texts as well as some medieval and Renaissance texts.
- Early English Books Online
- Coverage: 1475 - 1700
- Contains the full text of over 100,000 English books, pamphlets, and more, from the first book published in English through the age of Spenser and Shakespeare.
- Humanities International Complete
- Coverage: 1929 - current
- A comprehensive humanities database, with almost 500 full text titles and indexing and abstracting for more than 1,700 titles. Subject areas include (but are not limited to) literature, philosophy, the arts, history, culture-oriented and multi-disciplinary humanities titles with some coverage going back as far as 1929. This database replaces Humanities Abstracts.
- L'année Philologique
- Coverage: 1969 - current
- Standard index to monographs, journals and essay collections in classics (Ancient Greek and Roman language, literature, history and religion), covering essentially all books and about 1,500 periodicals published each year in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and Japanese. Citations only, in English or French.
- Oxford Handbooks Online
- The Oxford Handbooks series are a collection in four subject modules: Business and Management, Philosophy, Political Science, and Religion. Each handbook explains the key issues, the classic and contemporary debates on those issues, and sets the agenda for how those debates might evolve. The handbooks offer authoritative and trustworthy guides to the scholarship in these disciplines.
- PEP-WEB: Psychoanalytic Electronic Publishing
- Coverage: 1920 - current
- Archive of classic texts and journals in the field of psychoanalysis, including Freuds collected works. PEP-WEB can search for keywords specifically within dreams, dialogs or references.
- Philosopher's Index
- Coverage: 1940 - current
- Provides indexing and abstracts from over 40 countries of books and over 480 journals of philosophy and related fields. Covers areas of ethics, aesthetics, social philosophy political philosophy, epistemology, metaphysic logic, philosophy of law, religion, science, history, education, language.
- Routledge Encyclopedia Of Philosophy
- Coverage: N/A
- Authoritative, scholarly entries on philosophers and philosophical topics. Also in print in the reference collection, B51.R68 1998.
- Stanford Encyclopedia Of Philosophy
- Coverage: N/A
- Hundreds of entries on philosophers and philosophical topics, written and updated by experts in the field.