International Teaching for MATs
What is it?
After you successfully teach in a Colorado Springs public school, you may choose to spend 6-8 weeks abroad participating in an international teaching option after spring break (April-May).
Why choose this option?
It will provide:
- An opportunity to learn to live in another culture, be flexible in new situations, and become better at problem solving and listening.
- A chance to experience, first-hand, the culture (the arts, history, geography) of another country which will promote the development of a global perspective.
- An opportunity, ultimately, to "share the world" with future students.
- Personal and professional growth that will serve well in all future endeavors.
Where might I go?
Placements are available in the following countries: Australia, China, Costa Rica, Ecuador, England, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Russia (Tomsk), Scotland, Spain, Turkey, and Wales.
In what kind of setting might I be placed?
- American/International schools that offer an American curriculum to international students.
- International schools that teach an international curriculum to students from several countries.
- Host country schools that teach students of that country the curriculum of that country.
What expenses will I have?
For the international teaching program, charges would include:
- A $200 registration fee that is non-refundable
- A program fee ($800; 75% is returned if cancellation with reasonable notice before departure occurs)
- Airline tickets and in-country ground transportation
- Local accommodations: most students choose a home stay
- Miscellaneous (passport, visa, clothing, luggage, gifts, etc.)
- Spending money (weekend travel, admissions, souvenirs, etc.)
Formal application will be due by the end of September.
So far, students have had international teaching experiences in Costa Rica, New Zealand, and Australia. They report on the experiences as “enlightening, life-changing, and amazing.” In a world in which globalization dominates, this opportunity will be especially valuable. Questions? Contact Charlotte Mendoza, on-campus director of international student teaching, at email@example.com.
This is the Department of Education
Browse all Departments & Programs