Faculty in the Colorado College Environmental Program have discussed the importance of offering majors an opportunity to create a web-based portfolio covering the courses, field experiences, research experiences, writing, major concepts, and other dimensions to their major.
Both sections of Environmental Inquiry (EV 221) require that you initiate an EV portfolio that will be the start of an ongoing process that you are expected to add reflections and evidence of your learning the core EV skills and content in future EV classes. The majors portfolio may include examples from prior classes and should be expandable to include entries as you go through the EV major.
The major's portfolio documents the objectives the program has for EV students, who:
- Will have a rigorous intellectual foundation in cross-disciplinary environmental issues
- Will have demonstrated competence in reading and critically evaluating environmental literature
- Will have demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills
- Will have the necessary quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills to critically analyze environmental issues from scientific, political, economic, and societal perspectives
- Will have demonstrated practical “field” experience beyond the classroom through scientific or social research, or related environmental internship.
- Will have demonstrated the capacity to develop a sense of place through personal environmental stewardship and service
- Will have demonstrated an understanding of systems-based approaches to environmental problems.
- Will have demonstrated that they are engaged about current environmental topics by contributing to a greater understanding of environmental problems or helping to implement solutions for environmental problems in the Front Range and the greater southwest through engagement such as through service learning activities.
Please see the following pages to learn more about the EV Electronic Portfolio:
- What is it? A description of electronic portfolios
- How do I create a EV course portfolio?
- How do I create a EV major portfolio?
- Why do it? Reasons to create an electronic portfolio
You can also view completed portfolios for EV majors to better understand the content and style of a student portfolio.
Environmental Inquiry 2011
This is the Department of Environmental Program
Browse all Departments & Programs
- Economics and Business
- Environmental Program
- Feminist and Gender Studies
- Film and Media Studies
- French, Italian, and Arabic
- Human Biology and Kinesiology
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology & Ecology
- Political Science
- Southwest Studies
- Theatre and Dance
- Asian Studies
- Comparative Literature
- The Departmental Major/International Affairs Option
- East Asian Languages
- Global Health Program
- Race, Ethnicity, and Migration Studies
- Russian and Eurasian Studies