Skip to main content area Skip to institutional navigation Skip to sub-navigation


Federal and State Work-Study and Student Employment

Most, but not all, students receive work-study or institutional employment as part of their financial aid award. The federal and Colorado governments provide employment funding (work-study) to the college for eligible students. Because of these funding sources, the college asks campus employers to give first priority in hiring to students with federal or state work-study eligibility, or to students who have institutional student employment as part of their financial aid award. Students who do not have work-study are not eligible to work during Block 1. 

Students with work-study or institutional employment awards should seek out employment opportunities within the first block of the semester, which is the priority period. After this time, campus jobs are available to any student regardless of their financial aid status. Job listings are available on the Student Employment section of the financial aid office Web site ( All students must complete I-9 and W-4 forms with the financial aid office and electronic Student Employment Referral Form must be submitted by their employer in order to be hired and start working.

The student employment award is part of the self-help expectation in the student's financial aid package. We award the typical amount a student could earn during the on-campus enrollment period. Student employment awards are wages earned for work accomplished. Students only receive these funds if they actually become employed. Work-study and student employment earnings are received via check or direct deposit to your personal savings or checking account. Remember that earnings from campus employment do not credit directly to your student account.

The college has a limited number of off-campus community service work-study placements available only to students who are eligible for federal or state work-study. Students are placed in direct service positions with nonprofit community service agencies or school districts. These jobs are posted on the student employment job listings page.

Please note that you must be a current student and enrolled at least half time in order to have a job on campus using your work-study. Non work-study student worker are eligible to work on campus as long as they are a current student. Students who graduated are not eligible to continue working under student employment.

Fall/Spring jobs: You must be a current student and enrolled at least half-time in order to be employed.

Summer jobs: You must be a current student planning to enroll in the following fall in order to be employed.

Job Assignments and Changes. If a student is awarded student employment, the college makes every effort to provide an employment opportunity, but the student is responsible for finding a job. Employment opportunities exist in many campus locations and some off-campus community service placements. The largest employers are the library and athletics. Ordinarily only students enrolled at least half time can be paid on the student payroll.

Student employees make significant contributions to the work at Colorado College. Employers should provide meaningful work opportunities with adequate supervision, training, and expectations. Students should be responsible employees who are dependable and reliable, and complete the work as defined in the job description. Student employment positions are academic-year positions only. Students should not expect that summer positions or returning positions in the next academic year are a condition of any position offered. Students are expected to give at least one week’s notice if they plan to leave their position. Failure to provide this notification could result in ineligibility for further student employment positions during that academic year.

Procedure to Find Work. To find a job, a student with student employment in their financial aid award should do the following:

  1. Fill out I-9 and W-4 forms at the financial aid office (Spencer Center, 1st floor). These federal forms are required before any hours are worked. Furthermore, students must present an acceptable documentation that verifies their identity. Students need to fill out these forms only once during their student years at CC.
  2. When a student finds a job, their supervisor must complete and submit an electronic student employment referral form to the financial aid office before the student begins working. This form sets up a student for a specific job and rate of pay. A new referral form must be completed for each job, every year.
  3. Find available jobs by viewing the job listings on the Student Employment section of the financial aid office Web site, attending the job fair held during the first week of the fall semester, and visiting departments on campus to inquire directly about their student employment possibilities.
  4. Set up interviews and seek a position.

Earnings and Payroll Information. Student employment awards are generally around $2,100 for the academic year. This represents approximately 8 to 10 hours of work a week. The student wage rates during the 2014-15 school year are $8.98, $9.52, or $10.05 an hour, depending on the level of responsibility and the qualifications necessary. Employers must provide a job description for each job. Students are paid twice monthly according to the college’s payroll calendar. The payroll calendar is available from supervisors, on the human resources website under "forms" and on the student employment web site. The student is responsible for submitting an electronic timesheet in a timely manner according to the deadlines dictated by the payroll calendar. Paychecks and paystubs are sent to the student’s Worner box. Students may contact the payroll office to choose direct deposit options to a bank account, CC student account, or Gold Card account.

Monitoring Wages. It is the student’s and employer’s responsibility to monitor earnings so that federal and state work-study students stay within their work limits and can work the entire year. This is especially important for off-campus community service workers, since we cannot pay them beyond their work-study eligibility limit. The amount a student may earn through work-study is shown on the CC affordability plan or award letter. Students who anticipate exceeding this limit should contact the financial aid office to determine if an adjustment to the award is possible, or if it’s permissible to earn above the limit. The average student wage earner at CC does not exceed the typical $2,100 award limit.

Students may have more than one campus job. As long as they are able to be responsible in each job and not hinder their academic progress, this is acceptable.

Warnings and Termination. Employers should provide students with a written warning for unsatisfactory performance. Termination from a job may occur if the unsatisfactory performance continues, and some employers may communicate stricter guidelines for termination. Some situations may require immediate dismissal such as theft, inappropriate use of confidential information, falsification of hours worked, or threatening behavior. Supervisors make these decisions, and are expected to inform the financial aid office immediately. Any student terminated from a position may not be eligible for on-campus employment for the duration of the academic year. The associate director of financial aid reviews cases on an individual basis, and the next employer is notified of the termination. Employers and students should resolve problems between themselves first if at all possible. Any student employee who feels unfairly treated may appeal to the associate director of financial aid.

Off-Campus Employment. Students who wish to find non work-study jobs off campus should contact the CC Career Center. The Career Center posts off-campus part-time jobs on boards located outside their office on the second floor of the Worner Center. In addition, the staff can assist students in finding summer jobs and internships that not only may help financially, but also will assist students in gaining valuable experience related to their interests.

Back to the Financial Aid Policies Handbook Table of Contents »

Contact the Financial Aid Office

  • James M. Swanson, Director of Financial Aid
  • (vacant) Associate Director of Financial Aid
  • Gaye L. Scheafer, Assistant Director of Financial Aid
  • Kathy Gonzalez, Financial Aid Counselor
  • Colleen Smith, Communication & Student Employment Coordinator
  • Libby Fletcher, Financial Aid Coordinator
  • Patty Kramer, Financial Aid Specialist
800-260-6458 or 719-389-6651
Fax: 719-389-6173

Spencer Center, 1st Floor                                                                                                        14 E. Cache La Poudre St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Hours of operation: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm