Skip to main content area Skip to institutional navigation Skip to sub-navigation

Transfer Student Registration

Important Information 

Transfer Course Schedule 2014-15

Options for Registering for Courses 

Transfer students have two options in registering for courses: 

(1)  Option A: You may register right now for the entire academic year Blocks I-VIII and forego pre-registration with the other first-year students.  This means that you register for courses as they are available. (Spaces are listed in “The Colorado College Course Schedule 2014-15” under Option A.  If you choose Option A, fill out the enclosed Registration Form and return it to our office as soon as possible.

(2)  Option B: You may register right now for only Blocks I and II.  You are then qualified to sign up for courses that may have spaces reserved for new students.  (Spaces listed in “The Colorado College Course Schedule 2014-15” under Option B.)  In October, you will register with the new first-year students for the remaining 6 blocks and will have 60 points to bid for courses.  Again, you would be eligible to bid for a space reserved for new students. 

If you are an incoming first-year or sophomore, Option B is probably more advantageous for you.  If you are a junior, you may be interested in upper-level courses that do not have reserved spaces anyway, so you may find Option A to your advantage.  You cannot combine the two options.  The list of vacancies for the courses, which is enclosed, will help you make a decision.  The following is a procedure I would suggest to help you decide which option is best for you:

  1. After studying “The Colorado College Course Schedule 2014-15”,  list the courses you want for each block of the academic year.
  2. Check to see if there are vacancies under Option A for those courses.  If there are, choose Option A and enroll now for Blocks I-VIII.  List all your courses using the Option A Registration Form.  These courses should be open, so you only need to list one course per block.
  3. If most of your choices (particularly high priority choices), have Option B spaces, register for only Blocks I and II now, and wait and enroll for Blocks III-VIII in October with points via first-year pre-registration. Complete the Option B Registration Form, listing your course preferences for Block I in order of your choice, and so on through five.  Do the same for Block II.  Since we normally limit classes to 25 or fewer, we may not be able to place you in your first choice course.  However, you often get another chance to take that course in a later block.
  4. In the column marked “Grading Track” on either Registration Form, write the letter “P” (non-grade track) if you wish to be graded “S (C- or higher), CR (D+ or D), or NC (No Credit).  Write the letter “G” if you wish to be graded A-B-C-D-NC (letter grade track).  You may change the grading track through the first four days of any course.
  5. Mail or fax (719-389-6931) your Course Registration Form to: The Registrar, The Colorado College, 14 E. Cache la Poudre, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80903 by June 30, 2014, or as soon as possible.

Option B Registration is on a first-come first–served basis for Blocks I and II, so we need your forms as soon as possible.   You will be notified of your course placement by mail in August.  You will meet with your assigned faculty adviser during New Student Orientation which is August 23 - August 31.   At this time, you may also change into different courses if that seems more appropriate and if space is still available.



Registrar's Office - Information for Transfer Students

Registrar’s Office                                             (719) 389-6610

Phillip Apodaca, Registrar                                (719) 389-6613 

Karla Roth, Associate Registrar                         (719) 389-6312

Candace Santa Maria, Assistant Registrar          (719) 389-6273  


Checking in is mandatory for all students (current, new, MATs) at the beginning of each semester.  Checking in is different from being enrolled in courses; it confirms that you are enrolled in CC courses for the term.  You must log in to Self-Service Banner (SSB), using your ID# and passcode.  Failure to check in may result in the dropping of courses and/or a $50 fee charged to your student account.


You may add a course at any time prior to the beginning of the block without a signature as long as class lists have not been sent, (generally the Thursday before the block begins).  Once the block has begun, you may add or change a course during the first two days of the block, with the signature of both the add and drop professors.  You have until the second Tuesday of the block at 5 p.m. to drop a course.  The deadline is the same for two-block courses.  Keep in mind that dropping a course may put you at a disadvantage in completing your requirements for graduation in the usual four-year time frame and may cause a financial loss as well.

If you are allowed into a course on the first day of class because you were on the wait list, you must have the professor sign an add form and bring it to the Registrar’s Office.  If you are enrolled in another class, you must have that signature, as well, before we can process and add your new course.  If you do not follow this procedure you risk not receiving credit for that course.  In addition, you lose your option for the “P” grade track if you have not elected that choice within the first four days of the block.  It is a good idea to check that your schedule accurately reflects the classes you are enrolled in.

Procedures for adding or dropping adjunct and extended format courses are the same as for regular courses, except the time period to drop/add is different.  You may drop an adjunct or extended format course, if it meets all semester, prior to the end of the first block.  If the extended format course meets all year, you may drop it without penalty, prior to the end of the second block.  Two-block adjuncts have the same drop period as a regular course, (before the end of the second Tuesday of the block).


College students’ records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  It restricts institutions from releasing grades and other educational records without a student’s written permission.  Students may view their grades online through Self-Service Banner (SSB) after grades have been submitted and recorded by the registrar’s office.  Since the system is student-controlled, we encourage students to share grade information with their parents.  Parents can access grades through SSB by knowing their student’s ID number and password.  Students can also request official transcripts from the registrar’s office which includes complete course, grade, and gpa information. 

The college provides a two-track system for credit to all students. In a given course, you may choose to be graded by either the G, grade track or P, pass/fail designation:

G, grade track:  A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D and NC (no credit)  


P, pass/fail:  S, CR, NC (No credit) S= A through C-, CR = D+, D; NC = No Credit      

For purposes of computing your grade point average, the schedule below will be used.

A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3
D = 1.0
NC = 0.0

P track grades are not calculated in the GPA; however, a grade of NC under either grade track option is calculated in the GPA.  D+ and D grades fulfill graduation requirements under the G and P track; however, they do not fulfill major or prerequisite requirements.  There are no restrictions placed on the number of courses you may choose under each option.  However, you are expected to choose the option by which you wish to be graded at the time you register for courses.  No change in the grading option is permitted after the fourth day of class without extenuating circumstances.  The Registrar automatically assigns students a grading track for those who do not sign up for the course.  You may, with permission of the course professor, audit a course, (Z track), no credit toward graduation will be awarded, but the audit, if completed successfully, will be recorded on your transcript. 


When you have completed 16 units, and therefore, have junior standing, you must declare a major.  Once you have declared your major, you can plan your courses carefully. Your declaration enables each department to be prepared to offer sufficient sections of classes required for each major, particularly thesis sections.   Remember, you can change your major at any time.  Some departments require you to have an adviser in the department of your major.  Forms for declaring your major and changing your adviser are available in the Registrar’s Office, or you may download the form from the Registrar’s webpage. 

Regardless of your academic class, if you want to change your adviser, try to do it a couple of weeks before pre-registration in the spring (usually mid-March).  


Colorado College does not have a withdraw/passing grade unless the student withdraws from Colorado College.  After the official drop period for a class has ended, a student may be excused from the class if illness or other extenuating circumstances are present. You must petition for an excused grade from one of the registrars.  You must be passing the class at the time you wish to be excused, and the petition must include a recommendation from your professor stating such.  You will be required to state why you want to be excused from the class and to also provide medical documentation.


Your degree evaluation and transcript can be found on SSB. These reports are very valuable to you and your adviser.  If you have any questions about your report, do not hesitate to check with your adviser or the registrar’s office for answers.  Ultimately, you are responsible for your academic progress, but the Registrar’s Office has an “open door” policy and its staff is ready to help you reach your academic goals. 


Students may request official transcripts by completing a transcript request form found online at or at the registrar’s office.  Currently, the college does not send electronic transcripts.  Federal law does not allow us to send your records to anyone without your written permission.  Normally, transcripts are mailed within 3-5 business days.  Students may request ten transcripts each year at no charge.  The charge for additional transcripts beyond the first ten each year is $3.00 each.  We can provide a rush/overnight service for $25.00 (domestic).


You are permitted to be on one wait list and enrolled in one course each block. Notification will be sent to your CC e-mail address when an opening becomes available in your waitlisted course, and you will automatically be added to the course on the grade track you submitted.  At the same time, you will be dropped from any course in which you were already enrolled.